A few months ago I attempted to make some black bean empanadas. The key word here being "attempted." Now, they didn't come out completely terrible: the black bean filling was delicious and had just the right kick. Unfortunately the dough was a disaster. It fell apart at the seams, was entirely too dry, and generally didn't taste like empanada dough. The one saving grace of the experience, though, was that it DID taste like calzone dough.
Building on that past experience, I decided to take the two positives and put them together (purposefully this time) into a batch of black bean calzones. I modified my filling to add more of an Italian taste (basil, cilantro, and oregano), and made sure to knead enough bread to prevent any tearing. Here's what I ended up with!
2 cans (24 oz.) black beans
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, diced
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 package yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp raw sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2-3/4 cup water (or more as needed)
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1. In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Add the oil and sugar, mix.
3. Add 3 cups of flour, water, rosemary and basil, mix until you form a dough ball.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl and cover. Set aside for at least 1 hour.
5. In a medium bowl, mash the black beans together with a potato masher or the back of a fork.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients to beans and mix together.
7. Sprinkle some of the remaining flour on counter top.
8. After dough has risen, remove from bowl and knead on the floured counter top.
9. Cut dough into 6 even portions.
10. Roll out each portion, sprinkling flour on dough to keep it from sticking.
11. Spoon out filling into the center of each piece.
12. Fold dough over filling, seal the edges by pressing with the back of a fork.
13. Brush lightly with olive oil .
14. Place on cooking sheet and cook for 35-40 minutes.
15. Remove from oven, let cool 10 minutes. Enjoy!