Sunday, February 6, 2011

Perfect Breakfast Corn Muffins

It's 9:30 am, I've been up for 45 minutes and I still haven't eaten... so of course I'm thinking about nothing more than breakfast. First it was pancakes, now it's muffins!

I made this batch last week after a few other attempts at corn muffins, and I think I finally have the ratios of ingredients figured out. Corn meal is great because it's low in saturated fat and sodium, and has significant amounts of fiber and protein. It can be made into some tasty breads/muffins/etc., but to me it often seems too dense or too dry. To combat this, I decided to mix the meal with whole wheat flour, flaxmeal, and oatmeal, as well as pump in some more baking powder and vital wheat gluten to assist in rising. This gave it much more of an air-puffed texture, yet it was still dense enough to be a filling breakfast.

Ingredients
2 ½ cups cornmeal
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup flax meal
¾ cup oatmeal
½ cup sugar in the raw
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp vital wheat gluten
2 cups almond milk
2 tbsp oil
½ cup water
1 banana
½ cup raisins
1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Combine dry ingredients in a very large mixing bowl
3. In a blender or food processor, mix banana, milk, water, and oil.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
5. Add raisins, chocolate chips
6. Grease muffin pan, add batter
7. Bake for 14-18 minutes for small muffin pan, 16-20 for normal size, 20-25 for oversized muffin pan. 

Makes ~24 small muffins, 18 regular, or 12 giant-sized





No comments:

Post a Comment