Monday, February 7, 2011

Root Veggie Stir-Fry

I hate to say it, but as I get down to the last bits in my veggie drawer it's almost always the root vegetables that are left til the very end. As much as I love sweet potatoes, the peppers, broccoli, etc. are always gone before their rooted brethren. So as I peaked into the drawer tonight it wasn't too surprising to spot the carrots, celery, garlic(actually, the garlic was a surprise), and onions waiting to be cooked up. Feeling a touch of Eastern influence as I was fresh from a yoga session, I decided it would be an Asian meal tonight. Despite the fantastic Indian spices I just received for my birthday (thank you Bryce!), I thought the vegetables available lent themselves better to a nice stir-fry. I don't yet own a wok, so my large Calphalon skillet would have to suffice.
 
I like to make 3-4 meals worth of food at one time; this way I have dinner tonight and lunches to take to work the next few days. Expect this recipe to serve 3-5 people.

Ingredients
4 cups white rice
4 carrots
4 celery stalks
2 red potatoes
16 oz. cooked black beans
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
3 tsp ground ginger

*** The red potatoes were a spontaneous addition. They looked too good to be left out, but you can surely leave them out if you don't like potatoes in your stir-fry. Also, I add some sort of beans to most meals to get a healthy dose of protein. Feel free to leave these out as well if they don't match your idea of stir-fry***


1. Add rice and 6 cups water to large pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and let simmer partially covered for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover completely with lid, cook for 15 minutes.
2. Cut celery and carrots in half lengthwise, then into 1/4 inch sections width wise. Cut potato into small 1/2 inch pieces. Chop onion, dice garlic.
3. In a large wok (or skillet) add vegetable oil, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, vinegar, garlic and ginger. Stir mixture, heat burner at medium-high heat.
4.  Once garlic sizzles, add onion and potato, cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add remaining ingredients, cook for 5 minutes, then turn down to medium-low until rice is cooked.
6. Drain rice, combine ingredients and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment